ASSOCIATION FOR VISION REHABILITATION & EMPLOYMENT, INC. (AVRE) JOB DESCRIPTION
- JOB DESCRIPTION
- TITLE: Rehabilitation Assistant
- REPORTS: Director – Health and Rehabilitation Services
- FLSA STATUS: Full-time Exempt
- STATEMENT OF PURPOSE
- The Rehabilitation Assistant’s primary responsibility is to provide general support to the Professional Rehabilitation staff. Under the direction of the Professional Staff, the Rehabilitation Assistant will help in the training of consumers on assistive technology devices, aid in the development and implementation of recreational programs and other assistance as necessary.
- RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE WORK OF OTHERS
- The Rehabilitation Assistant is not directly responsible for the work of others, however may on occasion supervise volunteers or interns.
- BUSINESS COMMUNICATION
- Communication with visually impaired consumers, their family members, significant others, and employers or potential employers when appropriate, is ongoing.
- Communication with the Director of Health and Rehabilitation Services is frequent.
- Communication with the Assistive Technology Instructor is frequent.
- Communication with staff; i.e.: Vision Rehabilitation Specialists, Orientation and Mobility Specialists, Low Vision Therapist, and Employment and Career Specialist is ongoing.
- Communication with eye doctors, NYSCB counselor and other vision related professionals is as needed.
- Communication with human service agencies is occasional.
- SUPERVISION REQUIRED
- This position requires the ability to work independently and in close coordination with the Director – Health and Rehabilitation Services, Assistive Technology Instructor, Vision Rehabilitation Therapists, Orientation & Mobility Specialist, Employment and Career Specialist, and Low Vision Therapists.
- EDUCATION, TRAINING AND SPECIALIZED KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED
- Special knowledge and/or experience in the field of vision loss and/or instruction of individuals with vision loss desired.
- Knowledge of a variety of computer operating systems is desired.
- Knowledge of assistive technology for individuals who are blind or visually impaired is desired.
- Ability to install hardware and software on both PC and MacIntosh systems is desired.
- Bachelor's degree in Human Services, Education, Computer Science or related field including direct service is required.
- Program coordination with a minimum of three years of successful teaching/training experience is desired.
- Application and acceptance into an Orientation & Mobility Certification or Master’s Degree Program, Vision Rehabilitation Master’s Degree or Certification Program, or Dual Master’s Degree or Certification Program is required.
- PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Must be able to sit or stand for greater than 4 hours a day (includes driving or riding in a car).
- Must be able to lift and carry a 25 pound object over 40 feet.
- Must be able to spend more than 4 hours a day in front of a computer screen.
- SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ability to develop curriculum and determine instructional methods such as individual training, group instruction, lectures, demonstrations, conferences, meetings and workshops to achieve consumer and contractual goals and outcomes.
- Optimize successful transfer of knowledge and skills:
- identify and utilize most appropriate teaching methods;
- individualize training approach to coincide with the learning style of each consumer; and
- test trainees to measure progress and to evaluate effectiveness of training.
- Coordinate and maintain appropriate internal and external documentation as required to ensure contractual compliance and to demonstrate program results:
- maintain professional progress notes about each consumer;
- complete all required reporting for referring agencies;
- ensure that all data required is submitted in a timely fashion.
- Report on progress of participants during training periods.
- Contribute to the overall effectiveness of the agency and the Health and Rehabilitation Services Team, by performing all other duties as assigned.
- Ability to meet the transportation and travel responsibilities of the position. Coverage includes nine NYS counties.
- Ability to work weekends and after hours as needed.
- Maintains strict confidentiality in all aspects of AVRE activities.
Nothing in this job description should be construed as meaning that these are the only tasks and duties of the position. Management reserves the right to modify positions as determined by business and consumer needs and requirements.
AVRE encourages diversity in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Minority/Female/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Disability/Vet
Please submit cover letter and resume to:
Dianne Cappiello, Human Resources
174 Court Street
Binghamton, NY 13901