JOB TYPE: Full-time position working 37.5 hours/week
REPORTS TO: Director of Public Relations
TITLE OF POSITION: Deputy Director of Public Relations
With the general guidance of the Director of Public Relations, in accordance with BVA Board of Directors
policies, the Deputy Director of Public Relations champions the communication strategy with external
stakeholders and serves as the brand guardian for the organization in the pursuit of BVA’s vision.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversee the creation and execution of a Content Management Strategy across all communication
channels designed to maximize cross promotion, expand BVA reach, and increase membership in target
- Create, launch and manage specific email campaigns and email blasts to ensure maximum “share”
functionality and donor engagement
- Foster relationships with relevant members of the press and online media influencers, to promote BVA
programs and content developed over BVA media network
- Collaborate with the Director of Member Relations and Deputy Director of Development to oversee the
design and execution of effective, integrated membership and donor recruitment and retention
campaigns for targeted audiences
- Oversee the development and execution of comprehensive marketing plans to promote fundraising and
major events (e.g., BVA Convention) and attract new donors and attendees
- Attend and support relevant BVA Committees to develop strategies and communication tactics for
- Sets the direction and design for communication materials such as memos, emails, brochures, website,
and other publications
- Tracks the effectiveness of marketing and communications campaigns using all available data sources
and identifies areas to improve effectiveness
- Other duties as assigned
- At least 3 years of experience in marketing and communications, preferably in the non-profit sector.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Communications or a related field
- Microsoft Office 365
- Knowledge of media design platforms
- Experience executing robust strategic communication plans
- In depth knowledge of social media (e.g., Facebook, YouTube, LinkedIn)
- Knowledge of web accessibility guidelines and best practices
- Knowledge of blindness and disability rights
- Written Communication – Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies
writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written
- Analytical – Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and
experience to complement data; Designs work flows and procedures.
- Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional
resources; Sets goals and objectives; Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; Develops
realistic action plans.
- Managing People – Includes staff in planning, decision-making, facilitating and process improvement;
Makes self available to staff; Provides regular performance feedback; Solicits and applies customer
feedback (internal and external); Fosters quality focus in others; Improves processes, products and
- Oral Communication – Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets
clarification; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in
- Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes
information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations;
Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
WORK STATION LOCATION:
The Deputy Director of Public Relations position is located at the BVA Alexandria, VA National Office, and may
be relocated remotely. Local and national travel required.
This job description does not list all duties of the job. You may be asked by to perform other instructions and
duties. You will be evaluated in part based upon your performance of the tasks listed in this job description.
Management has the right to revise this job description at any time. The job description is not a contract for
This position is at-will. Either you or BVA may terminate employment at any time, for any reason.
To be considered for this position, please submit resume, cover letter and 1-page writing sample in Microsoft
Word format no later than June 11, 2021 via email to:
Donald D. Overton, Jr.
Subject: Deputy Director of Public Relations
The Blinded Veterans Association Is an Equal Opportunity Employer.