red, white, and blue star with initials B V A

Scholarships, Grants and Financial Assistance Exclusively for US Veterans

Many active-duty service members and veterans have access to the GI Bill to help pay for college. Although it is an excellent program to help pay for some college expenses, it often does not cover the entire cost of college. The good news is many scholarships for veterans are available to help pay some of the additional expenses.

Scholarships for Veterans

Veterans and their families have an array of scholarship opportunities available to choose from. Some of them are available to family members only while others are exclusively for veterans. Here is a short list of scholarships that may help you begin your search.

  1. AFCEA War Veteran’s Scholarship: This scholarship is available to active-duty service members, and honorably discharged veterans who served in an overseas contingency operation. Veterans must be enrolled and attending college with a GPA of 3.0.
  2. AWFDN Legacy Scholarship Program: This scholarship is for women who served honorably in the United States Army, National Guard or Reserves. Women who are currently on active duty in the Army are also eligible.
  3. FRA Education Foundation Scholarships: Veterans of the Navy, Marines or Coast Guard who served honorably are eligible for scholarships through the FRA Education Foundation. Scholarships are available for spouses, children, and grandchildren of FRA members who are in good standing.
  4. VFW Scholarship: The VFW (Veterans of Foreign Wars) offers scholarships for veterans. Financial assistance is available to members of the VFW to help them complete their educations without the burden of soaring student loan debt. Several grants are also available. Contact your local VFW chapter for more information.


Grants that do not require repayment are available for veterans, but they are not as abundant as scholarships. Veterans can start by exploring the Imagine America Foundation, which helps veterans transition to civilian life after their terms of service are complete. Retired or honorably discharged veterans can qualify for grants of up to $1,000 to help pay for college.